Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The adventure begins

Bula everyone (yes, I am that cheesy travel blogger who started by saying hello in the native tongue in the country I am in)!

After two weeks of crazy packing, purging and productivity, I am now in Fiji. Getting here took forever as I had a 7 hour layover in LA (thank you for taking me to Islands Briana and Kathleen!) which became a 10 hour layover as there were catering issues with the plane. But we arrived this morning (November 5 here in Fiji) at 7:30 AM. Instead of dealing with the tourist touts at the airport or in downtown Nadi (pronounced Nandi), I hopped on a bus to Latouka, the second largest city in Fiji (totally doesn't feel like it) which is about 30 minutes north of Nadi. Here I am deciding which island backpacker place to make my way to this afternoon. And telling mom I am alive and updating the blog :). Fiji is gorgeous! I haven't seen much of it yet, but what I have is green, hilly, and terrific! I'll definitely have to take some pics.

Nothing else to report since I've only been here for 2 hours. I'm surprisingly awake considering I still am not entirely sure what day it is...

Hope you are all well!
St

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made it! It was great seeing you last night : ) Have a great time in Fiji and take lots of pics!!

annie said...

yea! it begins.

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it. I look forward to "follow" you on your journey.

hjs000 said...

Yippee! Are you going to be posting pictures too? You heard Obama won, right? -- Heather

Audrey said...

So glad you made it safely and arrived to a beautiful landscape.

You did miss a momentous election night. I don’t think any of us fully understood the full meaning of the results until last night. The fact that someone was elected who did not flaunt imitation “Christian values”, or rely on fear mongering and exclusionary politics, and, who was also black, was a great change from business as usual – particularly after the past 8 years. McCain’s concession speech was excellent – in fact, had he presented himself with that level of statesmanship and genuine passion throughout the campaign (and without Palin), we might have had a different outcome. Obama’s speech was unifying and reminiscent of JFK or Lincoln oratory – inclusive and eloquent. People in NYC were hugging and dancing in the streets. I am sure this was true elsewhere as well. It was a truly an historic moment. It will be interesting to hear what the response is in your part of the world (wherever that might be at any given time). So keep your ears open and let us all know.

Have fun, be safe and keep us posted. Lots of love...

Deb Pasquale said...

So excited to see your first blog post. Tell your friends to comment on your trip, not give political diatribes! :P
I haven't seen Ron in 2 days and realized OMG we've depended on Stacy to keep an eye on him. We will take over that responsibility post haste. I already sent him the Where's Waldo, er, Rondo??? email.

Sharlet said...

So glad to hear you made it there okay. Tell me about the food!!! Hope you are enjoying good weather as things in the ATL are turning quite chilly.