Saturday, October 3, 2009

I heart Cordoba!


I planned to spend two nights in Cordoba. I ended up being here for six. Sometimes you just get stuck in a place. And I am so not complaining! I met some people in the hostel the first night and three of us decided to head to Alta Gracia the following day to see the Che museum. Two more people arrived from Mendoza the following morning and the five of us spent the day in Alta Gracia. The Che museum was really interesting. It is in a house that Che lived in when he was young and mostly focused on his "pre-Che" life. There were loads of pictures and letters and maps- definitely worth a visit if you happen to be in Cordoba. That night we added another couple of people from the hostel and hit the biggest buffet in Argentina for dinner (my second visit). A couple of the girls decided to go skydiving the following morning and invited me to join them. I said I would think about it.

I woke up the next morning and decided to jump out of a plane. There ended up being five of us in total- Mercedes and Fiona from Canada, Cathy from Australia, myself, and Espen from Norway. The plane was so small that only one person could go up at a time so we spent a long time sitting in the sun and waiting our turns. There were some Israeli girls before us. It was all of our first times to skydive so we were all in the same boat. I was terrified. I hate heights and always said that unless the plane was going down, I was staying aboard. Since I signed up last, I went last. It was great being there to watch my new friends do their dives as it became more and more real that I was about to do the same thing. Finally it was my turn. I was totally OK until I was strapped to the instructor hanging out the door of the plane. Then I freaked out a bit. By "freaked out" I mean screamed a few obscenities and wondered why the hell I was there. Then I was falling through space from 8500 feet. Oh and our intro talk where they explained what to do lasted literally five minutes... Anyway, before I knew it, the parachute was open and we were drifting down. All was well. I survived. About 10 minutes after my jump, a plane from another company broke its wheels on landing and they had to cancel all of the rest of the jumps for the day. Lucky for me it happened after my jump because I do not think I would have come back the following day... That night we went for a celebratory steak dinner with nice wine.

Wednesday was spent relaxing and walking around Cordoba. Wednesday night an impromtu plan was made to take a long trek on Thursday. So Thursday morning myself, Ken from Ireland, Jules from Oz and Wouter from Holland got up and grabbed a bus to the Quebrada del Condorito. The first 10 km of the hike was fairly easy and flat. Then we hit the valley- 500 meters straight down followed by 500 meters straight up. But at the end we hit this amazing overlook with condors soaring past. Totally worth it! The walk back seemed longer and had a bit more elevation gain. We were all pretty tired but glad to have done it. We got back just in time to shower and head up to the roof for the hostel BBQ.

Yesterday was the start of a 10 day Oktoberfest in a German town about 2 hours from Cordoba. There was a group of nine of us from the hostel who went to check it out. Unfortunately it was pretty dead the first day but with such a big group, we made our own fun. And the weather was terrific! It was the first time I was able to wear shorts and a tank top in months (still got pretty cold at night though). Today is a chill day and tonight Ken and I are taking an overnight bus to Salta. I am looking forward to exploring the quebrada north of Salta that I skipped on the way down. Also getting very excited to meet up with TK and Mish in two weeks in La Paz!!

Photos uploaded! Many fewer than I would have liked since I lost five weeks of Bolivia and Argentina, but better than nothing...
http://picasaweb.google.com/stacyb/ArgentinaUruguay#

No comments: