Saturday, July 25, 2009

Isla del Sol, La Paz, and Cocha with the Huertas

Isla del Sol was awesome! Amazing scenery from both Peru and Bolivia (although the mountains on the Bolivian side were definitely more impressive). We arrived on the north side of the island and hiked to the northern tip to see some ruins. Then we took a path down the island to the south and the village of Yumani. Most of the people from the morning boats left the island at 4 but I decided to stay the night. I went up to a hilltop to watch the sunset over Peru and then headed to a restaurant near my guesthouse for dinner. I think a few more people than planned chose that restaurant for dinner because they ran out of nearly everything (you can have trout or trout) and it took nearly 3 hours to have a simple 3 course set meal. Luckily I was at a table with a really nice uncle and niece from Spain (she works in the Galapagos and he was visiting) so I got to practice my Spanish with friendly people while waiting. Turns out I am quite adept at whining in Spanish, but definitely can work on my vocabulary :). The next morning I watched the sun rise over Bolivia from my room (seriously, the scenery on the island is fantastic!) and then walked down to the southern ruins before the morning boat departures. I met a nice tour group from Sweden who let me join them on their fancy private boat back to Copacabana and got a late morning bus to La Paz.

Upon arrival in La Paz, I met a French girl named Nina who is spending the year in South America. We ended up sharing a room in La Paz and hanging out for the next few days. La Paz is very hilly, very high (12,000 feet), and right now (winter), very cold. But when it is clear, you can see the nearby mountains from the city which is lovely. Nina and I saw the movie UP in Spanish (good thing it was animated as I didn´t get much of the dialogue) and checked out the very interesting Museo de Coca. We ate local almuerzos (inexpensive set lunch) and I got a chance to see the new Harry Potter (I loved it but it wasn´t my favorite of the movies). We also went and saw live local music and met some mountain climbers.

Since I am coming back to La Paz in October, I only stayed for 2 days and then headed to Cochabamba. My friend Heidi is from Cocha and put me in touch with her family here. The Huetras are the most amazing hosts!! Thank you so much Chichi and Nelly! Chichi picked me up the first day and took me on a scenic tour of the city and to her lovely home. Nelly came and met us and we went out and got marrequetas (fresh, sweet bread rolls) and then went for the most fantastic hot chocolate I´ve ever had at Chocolate Para Ti. Nelly brought me to her house and let me try calling home on her fancy Magic Jack before dropping me back at my hotel. The next day I wandered around the main area of Cocha in the morning and visited many of the churches and squares. Nelly picked me up in the afternoon and we went up to see the world´s largest statue of Jesus (yes, taller than the one in Rio- barely). Nelly is super outgoing so we met loads of people. Plus, I swear the Huertas know everyone in Cocha so we constantly stopped to talk to people and I met more people than I can possibly remember. It was like being with local celebrities! After the statue, we went for terrific empanadas, juice and huminitas (like sweet corn bread with anis) and then back to Nelly´s for a bit. In the evening we went to Recoleta and walked around and then saw a jazz trio playing Bolivian classics (and others) at a wine and cheese event at the upscale Hotel Cochabamba. Such a great day! Yesterday Chichi took me to lunch for chorizos (yummy spicy sausage). I have now tried every single food on the list that Heidi sent me (and then some) and I have to say that I´m a fan of Bolivian food! After chorizos, we stopped and got a cinnamin ice cream for desert. I´ve seriously been spoiled the past few days! Later in the day, I met up with Nina who had arrived in Cocha the night before and we went to see a Brasilian concert in a European mansion in the north of town.

So after a terrific time in Cochabamba, I´m heading to Sucre this evening. Monday I start Spanish classes so I am planning to actually stay in one place for 2 whole weeks. We´ll see how it goes.

Ciao for now!

2 comments:

HeidiPH said...

AWESOME! Safe travels to Sucre. You know you can still eat more there. HA! One thing I left off the list is Arroz con Leche...but I can make that when you get back.

Besos!

Sharlet said...

Hey, Lady! Thanks for being steadfast in posting. I love reading about your travels. I think it is so cool that you continually meet new people with ease. Hope to see you when you get back to the states, as I know your wanderlust will return shortly thereafter...